Ok, let’s face it, getting your makeup on takes time and sometimes you just don’t have hours to look your most fabulous. We get asked all the time, what are your essentials when getting ready if you only have 30 minutes or less?
Well, here are our tips and tricks for a quick 30 minute or less to “get your face on” to go out, stay in or just for practice! Once you master this quick application, you’ll have more confidence for those trips out. Keep in mind, the more you practice, the more efficient you will become. Our YouTube channel has a series of videos on makeup application to help show you the techniques and products!
We also recommend some go-to products. Why? Because every girl needs their go-to products. Once you find something that works and you like it, stick with it. We have our favorites and you will find yours too.
We believe that good makeup doesn’t have to be the most expensive. Sure, you can go high end for everything, but we also know you can find high quality, excellent products at the local pharmacy, Target or Amazon.
En Femme launched a line of lipsticks and eyeshadows along with contour palettes – all meant to offer significant value for everyday use.
Ok, so are you ready? Here we go:
Preparation: Have all your tools at the ready and your makeup mirror on and in front of you.
- Beard cover
- Cream or liquid foundation
- Contour kit
- Setting powder
- Eye Primer
- Eye liner pencil
- Lip liner pencil
- Foundation powder for quick touch-ups
- If you will be wearing your wig, have it at the ready and combed out. Be sure to check out our always fabulous collection of wigs!
- Wash your face with cleanser, shave closely and moisturize with any moisturizer that will keep your face hydrated. This is so important! Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!
15 Minutes in this order:
- Apply primer. Why primer? Because it gets your face ready for makeup. It primes the canvas! We like Mehron primers but also Elf hydrating primer or Elf poreless primer putty. Check out our new tutorial Preparing Your Skin for Makeup!
- Put on your wig cap.
- Apply beard cover. Beard cover neutralizes color from your beard. You can use anything that has an orange pigment to it - we like our version because it’s easy to apply and blends nicely. Apply it where you have your beard and also onto your neck. Blend with a beauty blender sponge. It doesn’t have to be applied very thick, just enough to neutralize. Blend, blend, blend!
- Apply foundation. This is important because most of us have skin that is thicker and not super smooth. We can’t stress this enough: invest in a good quality full coverage foundation. Many foundations are just too light to cover everything. We recommend:
- Dermablend cover cream foundation. It hides all imperfections, is very full coverage and comes in a variety of shades. It’s available on Amazon and also Ulta, Target and other locations. Try it on your hand in the store to find your match – you may need to buy two shades to blend to your shade.
- L’Oreal True Match liquid foundation. This foundation is at your local pharmacy, is full coverage and is super easy to apply with a beauty blender sponge. This is a go-to product and is long lasting.
- Use the beauty blender to apply the foundation that you have put on the back of your hand first and apply it all over your face and neck. Need a tutorial on applying liquid foundation? Here it is! Remember: blend, blend and blend!
- Apply concealer. Why do you apply concealer after foundation? Because you will see what dark areas or imperfections are coming through your foundation. Usually it is under your eyes. Our favorite concealer? L’Oreal True Match Super Blendable Multi-Use concealer pen. It’s super easy, just dot on under the eyes or where you need to correct and use your beauty blender to blend it in to your foundation.
- Apply setting powder. You have to now lock everything down before applying everything else. Use a white or translucent setting powder, tap a small amount into the cap and use a large head brush and lightly brush your face with the powder until it is set. Brush off any remaining powder and let everything dry for about two minutes. Our favorites? Dermablend, Laura Mercier and Kett Setting powders. The canvas is set! If you need help with steps 3 - 6, Please see our tutorial Applying Beard Cover, Foundation, Concealer and Setting Powder!
15 minutes in this order:
- Eyebrows. Using either an eyebrow pencil or powder and a small brush apply definition to the brows and accentuate the natural arch. Need help finding the arch? We've got you covered with this tutorial!
- Eye shadow. Eyeshadow takes time and we prefer a layered look, but for quick eyes, choose one medium and one slightly darker color. Simply apply the medium color to the entire upper lid with an eyeshadow brush. Use the darker color over a portion of the eye in the natural crease and blend upwards about halfway toward the brow. Need help? Our Applying Eyeshadow tutorial is a snap.
- Eyeliner. For a quick but precise eyeliner application use a pencil or a favorite of ours, the Eyeko Fat Liquid Liner. Build the line in three or four strokes from the upper lash line.
- Mascara. No time for fake eyelashes in this 30-minute session! Use mascara! Any kind will do, just apply it to the upper and lower lashes! Go from the root to the tips in natural sweeps up and outwards.
- Lips. For a perfect lip we always recommend getting comfortable with a lip pencil and lipstick. It’s important to draw a good line to create that full lip, before applying the lipstick. Want some help? Our tutorial is easy and will help you create the lip you’ve always wanted.
- Contour. Using a contour kit, contour around the face, the nose and the areas where shadows fall. Here's the tutorial on contouring you've been waiting for!
- Blush. Using an angled or medium sized blush brush, take a small amount of blush and lightly apply just under the “apples” of your cheeks. Blend out toward your hairline.
- Setting powder. One more time over the entire face with setting powder and a clean brush to create a smooth and flawless look.
Were you able to do it? It’s not easy at first and getting this down to 30 minutes takes time and practice. But if you are looking for a quick routine to get you to a gorgeous look, try this next time.
Have other tips and ways to put on your face in 30 minutes or less? Share them in the comments below so all your fellow girls can learn from your expertise!
Want more information on makeup application? See our YouTube channel for more tips!